: ALFA III -
Co-operation between Higher Education Institutions of the European Union and Latin America / Lot 1
State: Concept Note submitted (1st evaluation phase)
Evaluation process: If the Concept Note is chosen the applicant is invited to present a full proposal.
Eventual Development Period: 2012-2015
Support Institution: European Commission
- Double LA than EU countries.
- Support: 750.000€ - 1.250.000€, corresponding to the 80% of the total eligible costs
- domusBITae members not included in the proposal as partners can be considered as: (a) associates, or (b) subcontractors
- 70% of the budget must be expended in LA countries
- The contribution to Higher Education must be highlighted (e.g., common higher education area in LA), as well as the strengthening of the societal tissues at the beneficiary countries.
Proposal title: ALCIONE: Academic Latinamerican Cross-disciplinary InfOrmation studies NEtwork
Proponent (coordination): ULE, José María Díaz Nafria (Universidad de León)
- UC3, Jorge Morato: Knowledge and Information Management, Interoperability (Universidad Carlos III, Spain)
- HM, Rainer Zimmerman: e-Learning (Munich University of Applied Sciences, Germany)
- UAE, Modestos Stavrakis: ICT research and development (University of the Aegean, Syros, Greece)
- UB, Mario Pérez-Montoro: System Architecture (Universitat de Barcelona, Spain)
- UAN, Alejandro Uribe Tirado: information, knowledge and society (Universidad de Antioquía, Colombia)
- USP, Waldomiro Vergueiro: Library and documentation science and informatics (Universidad de São Paulo, Brasil)
- IPN, Miguel Angel López Flores: Natural Science (Instituto Politécnico Nacional, México)
- UTP, Martin E. Candanedo: research and postgrade (Universidad Tecnológica de Panamá, Panamá)
- PUC, Ignacio Casas: computer science, ICT research (Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile)
- UNE, Liz Ovelar: cross-disciplinary (Universidad Nacional del Este, Paraguay)
- UCS, Luz Gutierrez: environment, engineering, humanities (Universidad Científica del Sur, Perú)
- FUN, Arturo Ortega-Mansilla: e-Learning (FUNIBER-Ecuador)
The proposal is aimed at developing an international academic programme linked to a e-Science environment of international reach, particularly focused in contributing to the erection of a Common Higher Education Area in LA, in which information represent the thread of commonality among different scientific disciplines. To this end 3 major goals are pursued (1) the broadening and consolidation of an open e-Science environment for the cross-disciplinary study of information at a regional and global scale, aimed at promoting an interdisciplinary culture; (2) the development of cross-disciplinary educational programmes based on the natural, technical, social and human aspects of information, aimed at contributing to the erection of a Common Higher Education Area; (3) the support of pilot academic and training programmes by means of open information infrastructures as well as R&D projects of scientific, social and economic interest.
Concerning the advancement of domusBITae, its related environment is envisaged as a means of communication and sharing of educational and research assets. (a) The glossary remains as a fundamental tool for: i) clarification (with educational and scientific value); ii) semantic network for the retrieval of digital assets; (b) The educational tools comes to the forefront with special focus on: i) Harmonization of procedures and educational programmes among participants, ii) e-Venue tool for empowering interaction.
As a first approximation we foresee the development of the action articulated in 3 phases of 1 year each:
Phase 1 (design and first developments)
1.1) Design of the infrastructure for the constitution of the virtual community and development of its most basic elements;
1.2) Design of interdisciplinary educational programmes adapted to local peculiarities, requirements and needs;
Phase 2 (implementations)
2.1) Development of the most necessary eScience infrastructure for the development of joint programmes in the las phase;
2.2) Creation of new scientific and educational contents in the available infrastructure;
Phase 3 (pilots)
3.1) Development of pilot educational programmes (set of transversal subjects -e.g. ICT&Society; Intercultural Information Ethics; Information in natural, tecnical and social systems; General Information Theories, etc)
3.2) Development of pilot research projects (among them investigations proposed by PhD students; proposal for international support; linked to the industry -following the model of HM)